Yomi(詠) is a playable character from the Senran Kagura video game series. She makes her debut in Senran Kagura: Portrait of Girls.
BackgroundYomi lived most of her life growing up in the slums and harbors great hatred towards people who are satisfied with life. She watched her own parents die because of their poverty. In the street when she was having a meal, on the TV she saw that Ikaruga's foster father was giving enormous aid to overseas countries. This turned Yomi's hate towards Ikaruga. Yomi doesn't know the full details but it seems that her parents sold her off for their own desires.
In the Hanzo arc even until the end she held onto her hatred, but in the Hebijo arc, due to a certain item, she and Ikaruga eventually became friends. In Deep Crimson she is originally hostile towards Ikaruga while fighting her in Hebijo Castle, however when Ikaruga divulges Yomi in the secret of her adoption and true origin, she has a little change of heart. Even though she has grown a certain respect for her, Yomi is still troubled opening up to Ikaruga due to their social differences. Eventually however the two are able to overcome their barriers and become friends.
Related Article: Yomi/New Wave
Senran Kagura: After School (Anthology Comic)
Senran Kagura:Guren no Uroboros
Senran Kagura:Senshi Bankō no Haruka
Senran Enji Kyonyū-gumi
Related Article: Yomi/Anime
Non-Senran Kagura Appearances
- Kandagawa Jet Girls: As a playable guest character in the game (DLC).
- Yomi's name means "Recite".
- Yomi's sword strongly resembles that of the blade wielded by Gamma Akutabi from the manga series Zombiepowder. From the handle, in which both are wrapped in fine bandages, the hilt, where both have a chain piece centered on it (in which Gamma pulls to activate the inner chainsaw), to finally the blade itself. Both are very large and shaped extremely similar (despite Yomi's blade being a broad sword and Akutabi's an actual katana). But the most defining feature is that both have a chainsaw mounted inside of it for increased cutting strength.
- The names of Yomi's "Ninja Arts" all references to Norse Mythology.
- The weapons Yomi wears on her wrists are known as a "wrist bow" and an "arm canon." She uses them interchangeably with her primary weapon.
- Her overall theme and character design alludes to Norse motif. She bares garments of that of viking woman; mainly that of a simple house wife. Combat wise, her boots, gloves, and weapon choice are of viking warrior women.
- They also contrast Ikaruga's choice of weapon and outfit (which are eastern themed)